What the Bible teaches about music is a very important subject that is an issue of much controversy among many believers today. A careful, thorough examination of Scripture shows that it does not teach ten key notions that many people believe about music:
1. God created all music.
2. God created all musical styles.
3. All musical styles are inherently amoral.
4. All musical styles are inherently good and fit for human use, including for divine worship.
5. God has called Christians to “redeem” certain musical styles by using them to accompany Christian words.
6. Secular testimonies about evil spirits and music are inherently unreliable.
7. Music can only be sensual if it has sensual lyrics.
8. God does not care about the instrumental music that is used to worship Him—He only cares about the words that are sung to Him.
9. Believers with conservative musical positions have the burden of proof concerning musical styles that they say are unacceptable for Christian use, especially for divine worship.
10. For a musical style to be unacceptable to God, Scripture must explicitly say that He does not accept it.
For detailed, biblical explanations of how the Bible does not teach these notions, see the articles referred to here.
Copyright © 2011-2023 by Rajesh Gandhi. All rights reserved.