- Of the books of the Bible, Psalms is the longest book in several ways: it has the most chapters, verses, and words of any book, and it has the longest chapter in Scripture. Because the book of Psalms is entirely divinely inspired texts of songs that God’s people were to sing, the longest book in Scripture is entirely about music in that sense.
- Of the 150 Psalms, at least 119 have some explicit reference to something that has to do with music.
- Scripture provides us with the texts of at least 160 songs; besides Psalms, Song of Solomon is also a book of the Bible that is entirely inspired revelation about music because it is a song.
- There are more than 500 verses in Scripture that speak about music explicitly and more than 3000 verses total on the subject.
- At least 243 verses refer to singing, and 171 verses speak of musical instruments in some manner.
The NT highlights the importance of music in many additional ways:
- The NT quotes the book of Psalms more than any other book of the OT.
- The NT speaks of Christ’s singing when He was on the earth and of His singing someday in the future.
- The NT teaches that believers are commanded to be filled with the Spirit, and the first listed result of that filling is believers’ ministering psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to one another; such believers sing and make melody in their hearts to the Lord.
- The NT teaches that believers who have the Word of Christ dwelling richly in them sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to the Lord; such believers teach and admonish one another, including through their singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to one another.
- The NT teaches that believers who are merry are commanded to sing Psalms.
- The most important chapter on corporate worship in the Epistles speaks about musical instruments (1 Cor. 14:7-8), singing (1 Cor. 14:15-17), and the eagerness of every believer in the church at Corinth to minister a psalm (1 Cor. 14:26).
- The book of Revelation reveals that corporate worship in heaven includes singing accompanied by musical instruments.
Copyright © 2011-2023 by Rajesh Gandhi. All rights reserved.