Five considerations about the accounts in Scripture about Stephen show that we should profit from this material:
- They are inspired Scripture intended for our profit (2 Tim. 3:16-17)
- Their vast overall length shows their importance – 73 verses in the NT (6:5-6; 6:8-15; 7:1-60; 8:1a; 8:2; 22:20)
- The unique information they provide – the only inspired record of the final words and actions of a Christian martyr (7:56; 59-60)
- The emphasis on the Spirit’s role in his life throughout the accounts (first mention of him highlights his being Spirit-filled [6:5; cf. 6:3]; irresistible ministry through the Spirit [6:10]; Spirit-filled testimony [7:55-56] and prayers [7:59-60] at his martyrdom) shows that he is an exemplary believer
- Striking parallels between his experience with the Jewish council (and others) and Jesus’ experience with many of the same people (see my earlier post)
Copyright © 2011-2023 by Rajesh Gandhi. All rights reserved.